Tree Huggin' Bacon Luvin'

Mmmm...bacon...

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Magnificent Frigatebirds

The first time I recall seeing and really enjoying a Magnificent Frigatebird was in Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands.  I remember looking up and wondering what this sharply angled and incredibly acrobatic large bird was.  Magnificent is a great modifier. 

I've since seen them in lots of places, most recently at the Panama Canal doing a little dance over the massive container ships and sailboats passing through.  They easily rank in my top five favorite birds.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology thinks so too and just put out a cool "video" showing these bad boys doing some mating rituals.  Seeing their throat pouches all puffed up and hearing their calls makes me like them even more. 

I'm a bird nerd and proud of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home