Tree Huggin' Bacon Luvin'

Mmmm...bacon...

Friday, September 06, 2019

Tangled up in Blue

Every time I hear the Bob Dylan song Tangled up in Blue playing on the radio, I stop and take notice. This song has followed me my entire adult life with phrases from it predicting or recapping portions of my life.  My own personal Nostradamus.

It mostly has to do with my love life.  I dated - and nearly married - someone who lived on Montague Street.  I have been with someone who started in dealing in "slaves" (investment banking is close enough), and something inside of him died.  I dated someone who's Papa's bank book wasn't big enough.  I dated - and nearly married (different person) - someone who worked on a fishing boat and he also worked as a cook for a spell.  And now, as I deal with the effects of divorce, I know that: we always did feel the same, we just saw it from a different point of view.

I came to know and love this song from a mix tape made for me in an apartment in Paris by a boy my friend and I knew from home.  I say a boy, although at 19 - 20, he had set up an elaborate pot-dealing empire in a foreign country so I'm not entirely sure he was immature.  One night he made us a mix tape that included Tangled up in Blue and many other amazing songs.  My girlfriend and I carried it with us, in our Walkmen and our backpacks all over Europe that summer.  On trains, in hostels, and finally home.  It was called 315AP after the code you needed to access the boy's apartment.  Since I had bought the actual tape, I retained possession when we got home.  Next weekend, I'll see that same friend, and I couldn't help text her today when I heard the song on the radio.  Her response: of course and see you soon. 

Lord knows I've paid some dues getting through, but honestly, I don't know what this next chapter of life holds.  Divorce, solo parent, new home, business owner.  I think I'll just trust in the song like I always have and know the only thing I [know] how to do [is] to keep on keepin' on .... Tangled up in blue.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=tangled+up+in+blue+lyrics






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home